Friday 23 June 2006

The first week

My girlfriend came home last thursday with a pregnancy test kit & told me to have a look....it was positive. At first I kind of ignored it thinking it was a joke & that she'd borrowed it from someone at work ( as they all seem to be squeezing them out! ). The next night we talked about it & I realised it was true, she had been to the doctor's & we would get the results on tuesday.

The weekend was a bit weird as neither of us seemed to know what to say to each other, it was even stranger going to her parents for a bbq on fathers day & not saying anything as at this point we still weren't sure wether it was going to be positive or not.

 

It is now friday night & I've been living with the fact that I'm going to be a dad since tuesday. My girlfriend text'd me on tuesday at work, it just said ' hello daddy, love u '. I was numb, my best friend at work was really happy for me but I didn't know what to think, all my life I had done what I wanted, when I wanted & now I was going to be responsible for another life. There really is no way to describe it properly until you've been through it. All afternoon I could barely concentrate on my work, one minute happy, the next scared to death. How was I supposed to know how to react, I'd never been here before & my friends either had kids when I met them or hadn't had kids so I really had no reference point to work from.

By wednesday morning I had sort of taken it in ( although even now I still don't know how to deal with this ), my friend at work said I seemed a lot happier than tuesday ( underwear had been changed by then!! ). I am happy about becoming a dad but so scared, it's not just the relationship between father & child to worry about....all of a sudden I started thinking how her parents were going to react, what my mum & sister would say, & probably the biggest thing was thinking about my relationship between my girlfriend & me...was this the right person to have a family with, would we be able to cope with each other over the next 9 months & is she thinking the same.

We decided to keep it quiet for the first 3 months but this is huge news so I had to email my best friend ( he still hasn't replied, maybe the shock has killed him ) & tell a handful of other people I can trust to keep it quiet. But of course i had not taken into account the fact that women cannot keep gossip to themselves, even if it's about them, my girlfriend has told virtually all her friends then had the cheek to tell me off for telling 3 friends & my team leader at work ( after all, I thought he should know as my work this week was suffering from the lack of concentration ). Tomorrow is the big test - telling her parents, I am absolutely terrified of this, they're nice people but i've got their daughter pregnant..please pray for me.

I said we should put off telling my mum as we live miles away, we'll tell my sister in a couple of weeks when we visit & watch as she flies across the room to phone my mum!!!

Overall I guess I am happy but with a million questions. I have never had my own blog before, in fact I have never kept a diary so this may be short lived but thought I need something to record my thoughts & feelings over the next 9 months.

That's it for tonight, I'm off to have a drink because I think I deserve one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well - congratulations!!!!  Fatherhood is a great responsibility but also a great privilege.  At the moment I am in agony with toothache but will talk to you more about it later- in the meantime - chill man - its cool - and I can tell you from my own experience its a gas.  Babies and kids are so genuine in their play [  also their criticism as they get older :(    ]  they are good fun.  By the way - if you pray - ask God to make sure its a girl - they are far less trouble than boys - I know cos I used to be one!! The good thing about a boy is that you can clip it round the ear when it answers you back and it doesnt try to seduce you like girls do when they want a few (usually 100) quid to get some clothes!!

Incidentally I have 6 children & 6 grandchildren.
regards
Terry

http://journals.aol.co.uk/odge6655/Mylifebutnotasyouknowit/

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - becoming a parent is a huge step for anyone, and yes, it brings up all sorts of questions about your relationship, how you will both cope with the new responsibility and all that goes with it. But it is also a brilliant experience, like nothing else when you see your child for the first time. Nothing beats it. And the love you feel is overwhelming. No matter how anyone else feels about your girlfriend's pregnancy, what ultimately matters is how you and her feel about it. Being scared is part and parcel of it, as is the sense that your time is no longer your own, but there are millions of compensations for that. And you have time during the pregnancy to get used to the idea.
Great idea to start a blog. Hope you keep writing,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I am soooooo looking forward to reading this blog. hahahaahaaaa.....haven't laughed so much for ages! You're gonna be just fine. I think you'll be a great dad. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!All the feelings you are feeling are normal. . soon you will have got used to the idea and your life will change for the better when little one comes. . .looking forward to hearing all about it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!All the feelings you are feeling are normal. . soon you will have got used to the idea and your life will change for the better when little one comes. . .looking forward to hearing all about it.