Wednesday 28 June 2006

From the highs to the lowest lows

Today started really well, believe it or not I actually enjoy my job, it may not be the greatest job in the world but I enjoy it & thats all that  matters. I was doing really well today clearing lots of files, had an email with my stats on from yesterday which were pretty damn good, then we had a team meeting which meant a chance to sit back & take it easy for a couple of hours & then lunch. After lunch I only had 2 hours left at work & was looking forward to coming home & chilling out.

Thats when the dark clouds appeared. On the way home I saw a couple of kids & one was carrying a cat - MY CAT. Cleo has always been a skinny little cat since I got her just over 5 years ago from the local shelter, I have had her checked out by several vets & all have said she's just skinny, she eats okay & is lively enough ( for an old cat, she has been estimated at 10-15 years old ) so no problem. Anyway I asked the girl what she was doing with my cat & she said that they'd found her wandering around on the road near my house but they didn't know who she belonged to, there is a pet shop nearby so they were going to take her in & see if they knew who she belonged to as she has suddenly lost all her weight & looks really emaciated. I took her home & tried giving her some milk which she loves no matter how ill she's been in the past, she never touched it. As I say she has always been really skinny anyway but since yesterday morning she has lost loads of weight & isn't eating or drinking. I phoned the local vet who said they'd see her straight away so I rushed down there with her...........I was told she has a heart murmur which could be down to her age but also she is really ill. They said Cleo needed to go on a drip immediately as she could not go another day without food & that in order to find out what is wrong it was probably going to cost a minimum of £500 just for the tests - we may get lucky & find the problem straight away or it could take ages & be very expensive. The vet thought the kindest option was euthanasia & after talking it over with my girlfriend we had to say goodbye. I feel as though I have let Cleo down, my cats have always been part of my family & I would have done anything for them but with the baby on the way I couldn't justify spending hundreds, possibly thousands on treating her as the vet suspected that either way the tests would probably show up something that was going to be fatal anyway. I was really surprised as my girlfriend has never really taken to Cleo like she has the other cats but even she started crying when we had to make the decision. Goodbye Cleo, I will miss you so much. I have no appetite & wish I had not made the decisoin to let her go, even though I know it's the right thing to do. People may think me pathetic for caring so much for an animal but the love they give is so unconditional & pure. We now have one cat left as one of our 3 cats we had wandered off not long after we moved here in march & has never been seen since, now Cleo's gone Angel is the only one left. We are contemplating getting another so Angel isn't lonely but with the baby we are going to have to think long & hard about wether we have another cat. I have included pictures of my 3 cats above  #1 is Raki, wandered off maybe still out there somewhere, #2 is Angel still with us & #3 is my beautiful Cleo who I had to say a very tearful goodbye to tonight.

I phoned my mum to tell her & although I was going to wait until we were at my sisters I decided to tell her about the baby. Not sure how she really feels - she's a jehovahs witness & doesn't believe in all the sex before marriage thing but I think she's happy. Now we just have to tell my partners parents, oh joy!

Don't really feel like writing much more after what I've been through tonight so I'll say goodnight...hope you are all well & give your pets an extra treat tonight to let them know you care....Vamp x

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your sad story about Cleo struck a chord wit me. Our lovely cat Nero was hit by a car earlier this year. Despite the vets best efforts to save him and a fortune in bills, He couldn't regain his ability to pee on his own and he had to be put to sleep. He looked rather like your cats, similar colouring. We loved him and the kids took it bad. The link below is my daughter's story about Nero.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/entries/1088

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your poor cat, we had six cats, (we live on a farm so plenty of space:-) and we lost one last Sept, she was really quite old for a cat around nineteen or twenty but it was just so sad.They are a big part of the family and I can understand how upset you were.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your poor cat, we had six cats, (we live on a farm so plenty of space:-) and we lost one last Sept, she was really quite old for a cat around nineteen or twenty but it was just so sad.They are a big part of the family and I can understand how upset you were.

Anonymous said...

Tried to post a comment last night, but it wouldn't save. Hope this does.  Am so sorry to hear about Cleo. I've lost several pets over the years through different reasons, I was heartbroken every time, so no, you're not pathetic. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi mate :-) I've a cat and a kitten and I love them both to bits ~ they are a part of my life. I'm so sorry to hear about Cleo and you are not at all pathetic ~ just the opposite in fact. I've also had a cat run off and still look for him all the time. Have been reading your other entries ~ congratulations to you both. Will put you on alerts :-)
Hugs Debbie ~xxxxxx~
http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

Hi Vamp,
I was gutted for you on hearing about Cleo...so sorry. You will miss her for a long while and think about her but in a strange way that  will keep her alive!

We rescued a beautiful cat last year. He had done his 4 months inside and was desperate to get out and do catty things. After a few days exploring the garden, he didn't come in one night so I left the bathroom window open. In the morning the vet rang and said he'd been brought in. On asking if he was ok I was told he was dead....car. I was so upset.We'd had him a matter of weeks and in that time he had become one of the family. I never even took a picture of him and miss him now! It's silly how attached we become!
So, I guess he's up in catnip heaven with Cleo, sharpening their claws on passing clouds!
Take care, big hugs
Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Hi, two years ago we had to have our cat Minky put down, we had her from six weeks old and she was 13, but she had just had two kittens a fortnight before that I had to hand rear them, that was very rewarding. the loss of a pet is no different than that off any other member of the family, i feel devastated whenever anything happens, i do sympathise with your pain, also congratulations on being a dad to be, by the sound of it you'll make a great dad, kerry. http://journals.aol.co.uk/paul177600/lifeasithappens2

Anonymous said...

You probably were kinder to put your cat down as it sounds something was seriously wrong.I hope your Mum comes round to the idea of her been a Granny. . im sure she will.

Anonymous said...

Got your email dear, have entered both your fur babies on the pet memorial pag. Will be posting the link in my journal on the 16th...so watch for it. :)
I believe you did the right thing for Cleo, under the circumstances hun, I have had to put several of my beloved ones to sleep, it's never easy.
Blessings,
Sugar