Sunday 1 October 2006

Momentous day

So it was that at 0600 today I crawled from my bed bleary eyed & nervous, nervous because in yesterday's qualifying session Schumi was an amazing 6th - amazing because his tyres should have meant he didn't even make the top ten.

So it was with a heavy heart I went downstairs to watch Alonso extend his lead in the championship, with only 2 more races after today every point counts & I could see a bad weekend for Ferrari. It had rained heavily yesterday which is why the Ferrari's tyres were not working well, bridgestone have made great improvements this year but the wet tyre is still inferior to the michelin wets. It also rained again this morning before the race so everyone was starting on intermediate tyres - definitely a bad omen for ferrari. Schumi managed to make his way from 6th to 3rd bu was still a long way off the pace of the Renault's. Alonso managed to open up a 25 second lead - then he pitted. The wrong choice with tyre stategy meant that Schumi quickly caught & passed Alonso - YEESSSSS! Still a long way to go though, after the 2nd round of stops Schumi was in front, but then Alonso was very fast as the track dried, catching Schumi at 1.5 seconds a lap. The last 15 laps my heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to explode out of my chest......& then as they started the last lap the rain came down again....oh no - will Schumi on slick tyres manage to keep it on the road.....YEEESSSSSS!

So Schumi won with Alonso second, this means with 2 races to go the score is tied but Schumi is ahead in the championship because he has 7 race wins to Alonso's 6. If Schumi wins in Japan next week & Alonso fails to finish it's all over, otherwise we go to Brazil in 3 weeks to decide the title. I really hoope michael can get an 8th title this year, it would be so fitting for him to go out as champion, roll on next week ( even if I do have to get up at 0500 ).

My apologies again to those of you who do not follow the racing but if you read this journal regularly you will know how much formula 1 means to me, it is my biggest passion & as you can tell I get very excited. I had to be careful this week though, no shouting & screaming at the telly like I normally do as Nic was still in bed, same as she will be next week, oh well, at least I can shout & scream when watching the brazilian race.

Take care all & don't forget your umbrella's when you go out... Vamp x 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was still in bed at 6am.!!Its the middle of the night to me . . lol I can sense your passion for racing,it does get exciting to watch.Its nice to get up early and watch something and have no work. . its great. . glad you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I don't follow formula one, I don't think I've ever watched racing, I don't know the difference bewteen Schumi and Rooney.  It's all booooring **waits for slap, thump and kick up tha ass** My mum loves it though, and my auntie Pat, they are both over 65, so maybe it's an old person's thing *eek, waits again**