Thursday 13 July 2006

First midwife appointment

Well today was the first midwife appointment. Nic is not too happy, she has been given a list of foods that she is not supposed to eat while she's pregnant. She is most upset that mr whippy ice cream, mcflurry's & brie ( yuk! )are off the menu! So the downside for me is that when we're in town I will not be allowed to buy myself a nice ice cream - unless I want to spend the next few months in hospital. Nic is blaming me for some of her forbidden items, such as peanuts. They do not know for certain about the efffects of eating peanuts while pregnant but as I have asthma, hayfever & occasionally eczema the midwife advised her not to eat peanuts in case of the baby having an allergy ( okay so I suffer with allergies but is that really a reason to blame me? ).

We have been given lots of books & leaflets to read through as well, Nic doesn't read very often, she reads the occasional biography or more likely the latest scandal rag filled with gossip bout bb ( absolutely hate that programme ) but she now has lots to keep her occupied. It was quite worrying when the midwife was asking about family medical problems, Nic's answers were no, no, no, etc whereas my answers were yes, yes, maybe, yes....by all accounts I think my family should have been wiped out years ago!

We were given the date of the first scan - 31st august, supposedly the 12th week, working it out after we left the surgery we think its nearer the 14th/15th week. The last couple of weeks have been weird because it seemed that after the initial excitement of finding out I felt that I should be experiencing more emotion at the thought of being a dad but somehow my emotions seemed flat & my feelings empty. Now that we've had the first visit with the mw it seems to be resurrecting all my thoughts & feelings, god knows what's going to happen to my emotions tomorrow after we tell her parents!!! We are definitely going to visit her folks tomorrow to give them the news, hopefully they will be supportive but even though they are really nice people I am still scared.

My brother in law told me that I need to get on the 'net & sign up for all the freebies that companies give away for babies so this is my mission for the next week or so - find all the freebies I can. I'm not a penny pincher but hey, if companies want to give us free stuff who am I to refuse. If anybody knows of any such websites please leave comments or email me to let me know.

Last night we put the pool back up in the back garden so we now have the luxury of a nice pool to jump in during this lovely hot spell we're having. Apparently next week is supposed to be better still, shame I have to go back to work really. I saw a friend of mine today, he's quitting his job as retail manager in town to open a english tea room in New York with his wife - I am so jealous but also really pleased for him. He has been planning this for ages but has had to wait for US bureaucracy to issue his visa's, now he just needs to apply for his licence to sell alcohol once he's out there.

My dream is to go back to Spain, I worked out there a few years ago & fell in love with the place & people. Luckily when I met Nic she told me she's always wanted to live in spain as well, I would love to go while the baby is still small so it is brought up with the spanish life but it's difficult finding a job that pays enough to support us both (all 3 of us! ). I would ideally like to be in the countryside, near enough to the sea if we wanted to go but away from the tourists. The most likely thing is that we will have to live near the tourists in order to find jobs as we can both speak spanish enough to get by but not fluently by any means.

I will of course let you know how we get on at the in laws tomorrow, in the meantime take care & don't forget the sunblock!....Vamp x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tommorrow, I'll be thinking of you!
love Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Best of luck for tomorrow, hope it all goes well :-)