Sunday 23 July 2006

Strike!

Been a busy weekend this week, we had to go town yesterday. We waited until the ( torrential ) rain had stopped & luckily it held off until we got back. Nic bought me the Star Wars dvd box set for my birthday, I was going to get her a new bike but she has now decided she doesn't want one - she tells me after we have are back from shopping so I don't have time to get her anything before tuesday cos I'm working. Haven't got a clue what to get her now but I guess I'll take her shopping to get somehting next week.

Because of the weather we cancelled our planned bbq/pool party in the afternoon so had to let everyone know it was off. E still came round to see us though so we decided we'd go out for dinner. Bless her E's boyfriend split up with her a few weeks ago & I think she's still feeling a bit lonely so off we went, no one knew where we should go so we drove round until we decided to go to Frankie & Benny's. When we got there the car park was jammed so we decided to go across the road to pizza hut instead & had a very nice meal, even though we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, that they had ran out of large pizza bases & that the bill was wrong when we got it. Afterwards we went to Tesco as it's on the same complex, managed to get Nic something for her birthday as she found 3 dvd's she wanted, not much but at least she's got something she can open on tuesday. Decided we all wanted to go bowling so off we went, I must admit at this point that bowling is one of my weak points, I have never in my (nearly!) 34 years had a strike. It was great cos the guy at the cash desk told us to hang around for 10 minutes we could get unlimited games for less than the cost of 2 games if we paid straight away. WOW! The second game I actually got a strike - and several more followed throughout the night, just when I was beginning to think this was something I would never achieve in my life. We didn't get home until after 1am but it was a great night & we are all planning on doing it again soon. Off to bed planning on sleeping in today.

Well that was the plan but I woke up fairly early so decided to get up and do the ironing whilst watching Superman, I treated myself to the boxset a few weeks ago & only now have had the chance to watch them. Nic's parents came round later bringing our cards & some food, they are going away tomorrow for 2 weeks so they emptied their fridge - very nice of them to bring us all the stuff that would have gone off. We've been cleaning for the rest of the day & moving our lounge around, we've still got the spare room to clean out as well, its full of books, video's, xmas stuff, suitcases & other rubbish. No doubt it'll all get listed on ebay soon, I have got rid of loads of stuff since moving to cov but I still seem to have loads more crap - where does it all come from & why do us blokes feel compelled to keep it all? Our tenancy is up at the end of august & we've asked if we can renew the agreement for 12 months, this time it was only 6 months but cannot stay here if they will only do another 6 months. No way can we agree 6 months here unless we can't find anywhere else cos the baby will be due then & I am not moving knowing the baby could arrive at any moment or if it's just been born. This house is quite small but we both like it here, its convenient for town, my work ( Nic has to cycle to work but there are buses cos she will eventually have to stop cycling to work ), its not too bad an area. I think if we can renew the tenancy for 12 months we will look for a 3 bed house next year.

This weekend has also been notable for my nerves again, I don't know why but all weekend I have been thinking about when the baby arrives, will I be a good dad, will Nic be a good  mum, will our relationship cope with the added pressure of a child, will I ever sleep again! I am really looking forward to it now but still it scares me, I have never had responsibility for another persons life & really do not know how well I will cope. I know these feelings are probably the same for all expectant parents but I still feel isolated because i'm not that good at talking to people about my feelings, thats why I love having the outlet of this journal. I guess my thoughts & emotions will change hundreds of times before the baby is born so expect some very strange entries in the coming months. One thing I think I can say is that I will probably be one of the most over protective paretns ever, I just hope my friends & family can keep me grounded & stop me making too much of an idiot of myself.   

Anyway it's about time I got on with the cleaning again, if I don't do it now it'll only get put off for another few weeks. Bye for now...Vamp x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vamp...sounds like you had a great weekend.
Just keep pouring out your soul and angst to us...we'll listen!
Love  Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Nice blog vamp!  The concerns you feel - we all go thru them, men as well as women - if you werent having them I would be worried - but it is healthy and I think you will make a great dad!  Stay with it bro - kids are a real bonus and blessing!
Regards
Terry

http://journals.aol.co.uk/odge6655/Mylifebutnotasyouknowit/

Anonymous said...

Those feelings are what will make you a great Daddy.Once the baby arrives you will not be bothered about anything but the little one .Happy birthday too : )