Wednesday 19 July 2006

my brain's melted

It's no good, I just had to get up. Been lying in bed awake most of the night cos of the heat so decided to get up & have a shower. Sat here now with a nice cup of coffee, I know we always moan about the cold wet weather in Uk but this damn heat is so draining. Gotta go to work in half hour but at least I have a fan by my desk & I sit next to the windows, its great cos my team leader is a friend I worked with at my last job so everytime they change our seating plans to accomodate new team members I always get to stay where I am. It's definitely a case of who you know not what you know.

I've been a bit quiet this week on my journal as nothing much happening. Nic's parents are being really nice to her so I think they are quite pleased about being grandparents again. Her mum was even checking out what govt handouts we are entitled to ( i must point out at this point that we are not benefit scroungers as we both work but if we're entitled to help when Nic finishes work then so be it ). I feel a bit selfish at work as I have told a couple of good friends about the baby & one of them has now told me her doctor's told her she might not be able to have children & has put her on fertility treatment. L is really great & never shows her disappointment when I talk about being a dad but I feel really bad now, she wants to have a baby so much, hope the treatment works for her.

Last night we were trying to get our cat Angel in for the night, we heard something in the bushes in the back garden & thought we had a hedgehog....oh no. It was Angel, & not on her own, she was stalking a bird that was obviously injured & unable to fly away. I know cat's are predators by nature & think those people that call them murderers should let it be, nature has worked for years - but I hate to see animals or birds hurt. We finally managed to coax Angel in with some biscuits but we couldn't find the bird so hopefully it managed to get away somewhere safe to recover. We are not going to get another cat at the moment, we were going to check out the local shelters so Angel wouldn't be on her own but she seems to be adjusting to life as an only cat quite well now. We'll just have to keep an eye on her & maybe find her a friend later if she gets lonely.

Looking forward to this weekend, its mine & Nic's birthdays next week so we are having friends round, hopefully weather will be nice enough for a bbq & pool party but if not then we'll just have to cook indoors. Our friends are great but its very hit & miss wether they'll turn up at our regular get together's, someone always forgets they had made prior arrangements or ends up having to go somewhere for work. I moved to cov to be with Nic after working over here for a while & must admit that I do miss being able to have my friends from back home come over, its a bit far to come just for a few hours & we don't have the room to put them up yet. I've been looking at jjb's website cos Nic needs a new bike, I could do with one too & at the moment they have an offer on - buy the mens bike & get the womans free so might have to splash out on them so she can have a new bike for her birthday. We have everything already for the house, got too many dvd's/cd's & as we only hae a small house we are looknig to get rid of loads of other stuff to make way for the baby so don't really know what else to buy her apart from the usual flowers/chocs.

Before I go I just want to say to Phoenix that yes I definitely miss 24 on sunday nights, got my brother in law hooked on it when I visited them the other week ( can't believe he'd never seen it, gotta lend him all my dvd's now ) & the attraction with motor racing is...well...I guess you either love it & understand the passion or you don't. As long as i could get 24 & all the F1 races on dvd I could do without everything else on tv.  My racing is probably my biggest passion in life, I hate football but get just as worked up as a lot of footie fans when it comes to racing, it's not something I can easily explain it's just in my blood.

Anyway better go & get ready for work now. Vamp x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vamp
I hope you have a good and coolish day at work!
I was only teasing about the F1 stuff...I think it's great that we all have different passions in life...doesn't mean we can always appreciate others tastes but it makes for an interesting world!I don't seem to have a passion in life, so maybe I'm just jealous!!
love Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Really glad things are working out fine with Nic's parents.  We oldies can be a pain where our daughters are concerned.  I make a point of it with both my daughters men, and they are both married!!  Its only cos we want the best for them and think we know what is best.

You are sounding a lot more settled into the future father role now -thats great.  Now you can enjoy having her wake you up at 1am to go and get crisps and ice cream from the shops or ice cubes to crunch on - aaarrrrgggghhhhh  the memories flood back - I will have nightmares tonight!!
Regards
Terry

http://journals.aol.co.uk/odge6655/Mylifebutnotasyouknowit/

Anonymous said...

Hi Vamp,
you will be entitled to working and child tax credits as well as child benefit, Nic can also apply for a maternity benefit which is a one off payment of £500, will pick my daughters brain about this one as she knows more about it and will get back to you.
Nic can also take up to 6 months maternity leave starting a month before little vamp is born, you can take two weeks paid paternity leave as well, after the birth, if I remember any more will let you know, Kerry